I can not remember the last time I rode a bike that I owned....
I spent a summer in Amsterdam where cycling is essential but I was not confident... other than that I can only think I must have been in my early teens.
I am out of my comfort zone... it is obvious that I do not feel entirely comfortable around experienced cyclists. Discussions of mechanisms, compounds and transmissions baffle me. I do not know what rim sizes are and.... I can not even pronounce the names of many of the international cycling races and tours and even the name of the guy who won the Italian tour in 2020... Tao Geoghegan Hart. I have been in this position before and I am not afraid of it... I'm just very aware I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve. It was 2007 when I started my first ski season in the french ski resort of Val d'Isere - it is about as elite and pretentious as skiing can get - I had the same feeling of being an outsider. Not knowing everything I needed to know about skis, boots, bindings, clothing, general etiquette - am I doing it right, are people going to have the right impression of me... will people like me? It's intimidating being out of your comfort zone but in hindsight it m...
It was still dark when I got the bike out this morning. Forecast is dry. I slept well and woke up excited. Where is the next cycling adventure going to take me I wonder. Last night I made sure my lights were fully charged. Front and back. The e-bike - Cannondale Quick Neo for today's ride - I knew was charged but I made sure time and again. The bike is going on its first real outing today. I have inspected the breaks, tyres, seat height, made sure everything is correct for me - as far as my limited experience can let me know. I planned what I was wearing. It is 8 degrees slight breeze and dry. Jacket is dry, gloves are out, hat and helmet are ready. Layers are fresh. It is all about the layers. This time however I will learn from previous mistakes... I wear shorts with braces as I do not want to flash my arse to people following.... and last time I went out I added several layers over the braces - which totally screwed any opportunity for a quick pee.... there was a lot of s...
So today was very exciting. Not only did we collect the majority of our fleet bikes for the launch of Cheddar Bikes but I went for my first bike ride in I don't know how long.... "Helmet on, we are going out" was the shout by my wing man... I didn't have chance to get nervous or panic like I did on Saturday when I was by myself. We took our brand new Cannondale Treadwell Neo E-Bikes. Advertised as a simple, responsive bike that is fun to ride. It really did not disappoint... within moments of setting off we looked at each other and the joy was obvious, laughing, smiling in disbelief and in awe of our seemingly effortless achievement.... it was then Keith dropped the bomb shell..... "we are heading up the Gorge". We are so lucky to have one of the best cycling routes in the UK on our doorstep. I have driven it many times but going up on a bike emphasised just how spectacular the cliffs are and the E-Bikes made light work of the 16% incline. It was weird to...